POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Grayscale_Output=yes doesn't work : Re: Grayscale_Output=yes doesn't work Server Time
18 Apr 2024 22:08:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Grayscale_Output=yes doesn't work
From: clipka
Date: 15 Mar 2015 01:09:52
Message: <55051420$1@news.povray.org>
Am 14.03.2015 um 18:34 schrieb Leroy:
> Le_Forgeron wrote:
>  > I would concede that despite the documentation, the preview is not
>  > greyscale (at least on my linux). But the output image is greyscale,
>  >and 16 bits.
>
> So is this a document thing or a bug?
> My bet is a bug.

Nope; it is the documentation that is in error.

Making the preview exactly reflect the output image in every respect
would be excessively difficult. (As an extreme example, reproducing jpeg
artifacts according to the quality settings chosen would require to
actually generate the jpeg image and then convert it back. Obviously
that can only happen once the image is completely rendered. The same
goes for some dithering options at low bit depths.) For consistency, it
is therefore the current policy to always preview the render at maximum
quality regardless of the output file format and quality parameters.

In that context, the question whether the output image contains any
chromaticity information at all is currently considered a matter of
output file format and quality.