POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.binaries : I'm volunteering : Re: I'm volunteering Server Time
24 Apr 2024 10:01:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I'm volunteering
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 26 Feb 2015 15:58:12
Message: <54ef88e4$1@news.povray.org>
Le 26/02/2015 19:53, Woody a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I've returned to school after 10 years, (getting an MS in computer science, with
> an emphasis in Computer Graphics).
>
> I'd like to volunteer to start porting the Moray code to Linux and Mac (I've
> been gaining quite alot of knowledge on these two operating systems since
> returning). I also have previous experience developing for Windows using C# as
> well as MSVC++ with COM, MVC, and GDI.
>
> Given the state of the industry, I'm guessing linux an OSX versions would be
> developed using C++. I'm assuming the same would be true for Windows, or would
> C#?

Windows has C++ compiler too (in Visual Studio), even a crappy C
compiler (official statement from MS: C++ is updated, but C is not and
all you can expect is K&R), so everything is possible.

> What frameworks does Moray currently use? (The last time I was able to get it
> working was on XP, despite the many supposed fixes for Windows 7)

MSVC++ was used... Visual C++ 8, old timer.

Given the GUI-oriented nature of the program, I wonder if Java would not
be worth some consideration, at least for unification of the handling of
the GUI item (as long as someone stays away from native mapping). Or not
(if openGl is used, how easy is it to use it from Java ? so far I do not
know).
(I have three main reasons to not like Java, but that's nothing that
should stop anyone)

Choosing the language before knowing the expectation seems a bit of
pre-optimisation  (that's bad). And it's not only the core-language, but
also the kind of look the GUI-libraries might provides (and their
cross-platform availability: a single version is easier to maintain than
3 or 4 adaptations to specific platforms).

Maybe gaining access to the current sources for getting some idea might
helps... but a whole internal redesign might be needed (or not), for
multiple platforms' support. I'm afraid of old code being full of
windows' shortcut.

From the Moray site, it seems that it had an approach for plugins, I
wonder if there is a portable way for that too. Or maybe a single binary
holding everything is simpler.