POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Tracing colours : Re: Tracing colours Server Time
25 Apr 2024 16:39:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tracing colours
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 8 Nov 2014 14:59:05
Message: <545e7609@news.povray.org>
On 08/11/2014 19:13, kevva wrote:
> "Nekar Xenos" <nek### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> It would be great to have a fifth optional parameter on the trace()
>> function to return a 5 dimensional colour vector at the intersection point.
>>
>> --
>> -Nekar Xenos-
>
> Hi Nekar
> I hear you!.
>
> I was trying to put an image on a box then use trace to find out what color was
> at that location. The idea is to mess with existing images in POV but with no
> color returned this turns out to be impossible. Unless of course anybody out
> there knows different.

If you know the position and the texture/pigment, all that would be
missing is an evaluation of color at that location. It does not need
trace to be extended, does it ?

> Also how about a read / write function when dealing with files and a pointer
> variable would also be helpful.

you have #read & #write...

http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/238/

pointer ? do you need alias ?
SDL is declarative, once defined you cannot amend an object in the
scene, what would you use pointer for ?

If you need "template", you can #declare/#local your objects to use them
later.

Or do you want to be able to modify an instance of a previously declared
object far far later after its closing brace ?
(I mean modify, not get a copy to alter)

For once, the Java statement of "no pointer" is a good point when
dealing with "artists".

--
IQ of crossposters with FU: 100 / (number of groups)
IQ of crossposters without FU: 100 / (1 + number of groups)