POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Error with big *.inc file : Re: Error with big *.inc file Server Time
17 Apr 2024 22:18:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Error with big *.inc file
From: James Holsenback
Date: 29 Aug 2014 06:58:05
Message: <54005cbd$1@news.povray.org>
On 08/29/2014 04:32 AM, Alex wrote:
> I get the following error when using a big inc file:
>
> "C:\Temp\POV\Mesh_tracts_big.inc" line 64136462: Parse Error: No matching } in
> 'object', float function 'float constant' found instead.
>
> But there is nothing wrong with that file. Note that I do *not* get any error
> when I use smaller file.
>
> I have put the relevant files (Mesh_tracts_big.inc, Mesh_tracts_small.inc and
> Scene_def.pov) here (~1/2 GB zip file):
> http://www.isi.uu.nl/People/Alexander/files/POV.zip
>
> I am using Windows 7 Professional 64 bit OS (24 threads with 128 GB RAM). To
> render the big file, you need ~30 GB RAM. I used both the latest POV-Ray version
> and the previous one... no luck!
>
> Many thanks in advance for any help!
>
> Cheers,
> Alexander

Hmmm ... OK I'm seeing something similar with a big include file (> 75M)
that I've been using for ages and /haven't/ touched since 2011

ash@linux-c2bm:~/POV-Ray/Source $ ll ../Includes/gargoyle.inc
-rw-r--r-- 1 ash users 75777971 Apr  6  2011 ../Includes/gargoyle.inc

File '/users/ash/POV-Ray/Includes/gargoyle.inc' line 2868724: Parse
Error: Illegal character in input file, value is b7.
Fatal error in parser: Cannot parse input.

Odd that things worked fine two days ago (and yesterday) ... Indeed when
I bring the file into gedit it halts reading the file for "illegal
character" so I canceled ... however reading the file with vi I see a
problem at the offending line:

I've seen this before (different include), but didn't follow up as I was
sure it would be one of those "I can't duplicate it" cases and I dropped
it ... now with another user having problems I feel it's prudent to
speak up now.