POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Install for multiple windows 7 users : Re: Install for multiple windows 7 users Server Time
25 Apr 2024 10:08:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Install for multiple windows 7 users
From: Chris Cason
Date: 21 Aug 2014 16:53:06
Message: <53f65c32$1@news.povray.org>
On 21/08/2014 21:18, clipka wrote:
> What that documentation currently fails to mention is that the user
> directory needs to be populated manually (or via a script of course), as
> the /INSTALL and /QINSTALL options will only take care of the registry
> entries.

The fully documented workaround I mention is NOT the command-line
switches but the group policy alternative. I specify the registry
entries and that, along with providing the files in the right places,
is what an admin can use rather than running the program elevated on
each workstation.

Put another way, rather than going through the hassle of organizing an
elevated run of POVWIN on each workstation, they can set files up on
the network (including the end-user files wherever they want), push
the registry entries via group policy, and POVWIN will just work
without *ever* needing to have been run on the workstation in question
at any time previous, with or without elevation.

This is the cleanest way of doing it in a large environment where the
administrator is competent and willing to read documentation.

For smaller installs yes I could add some code to POVWIN.