POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Install for multiple windows 7 users : Re: Install for multiple windows 7 users Server Time
25 Apr 2024 11:55:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Install for multiple windows 7 users
From: Chris Cason
Date: 19 Aug 2014 17:42:38
Message: <53f3c4ce$1@news.povray.org>
On 20/08/2014 07:14, Alain wrote:
> Did you ever try to install from an administrative account? It's the
> ONLY way to install ANYTHING for all users. The "thousands of software
> vendors" that you mention can not preform that "miracle" if the install
> is not done with administrator credentials.
>
> For the file colours.inc, it's a particular case. You need to make sure
> that all users have a pov-ray folder in their profiles that have an
> includes folder that will contain that file.
> Also, have a scenes folder in each profiles. This is to ensure that one
> user won't accidently modify the scenes from someone else.
>
> Normaly, POV-Ray should build the needed registry entries from it's
> current folder and the profile in use if those don't already exist.

This is a good summary. The main issue is that for a pre-install to
work we need to advertise a 'deferred install', which requires MSI
support. A deferred install will automatically install the
user-specific files in the users account the first time they run POVWIN.

Since we can't do that, in a lab environment it's up to the
administrator to ensure that when the student wants to run the app,
the appropriate support files get installed. This is why we clearly
document the required settings.

Generally speaking letting them all share a single set of files isn't
suitable, as then they can all edit them. A proper setup requires that
each student has their own set of editable files in their own account.
The binaries/help file etc can be shared.

-- Chris