POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Some frames take forever.... : Re: Some frames take forever.... Server Time
19 Apr 2024 09:11:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some frames take forever....
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 25 Jul 2014 10:26:03
Message: <53d268fb$1@news.povray.org>
On 25/07/2014 14:48, mfeldt wrote:
> I'm rendering an animation of a somewhat complex landscape based on isosurfaces,
> and rendertimes vary between 30 minutes and infinite.
>
> I have taken the usual precautions to limit number of reflections, max_gradient
> and so forth, but still a few individual frames appear to never finish, the
> parallel povray processes chewing away at the last few tens of pixels.
>
> My problem is now that I do not want to change the scene files since most of the
> animation is already done and only 5 frames missing. An easy mitigation would be
> to render those 5 as far as one can get, and use gimp or whatever to replace the
> missing few pixels from the frames before and after - much like in standard
> movie restoration.
>
> The problem is - povray wouldn't let me have those. All it produces is a
> pov-state file, and whenever I initiate any kind of abort, no image can be found
> on disk (3.7, the version).
>

> So my question is: Is there a way to abort the render such that I have the
> partially (almost fully, in fact) rendered image on disk?

No. But the pov-state file contains the picture you need... in internal
format. (and with a few missing squares, the ones that have not been
fully rendered)

Is the scene short-enough to be used in a bug report ?

--
IQ of crossposters with FU: 100 / (number of groups)
IQ of crossposters without FU: 100 / (1 + number of groups)