POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Bump mapping bug with cylindrical mapping : Re: Bump mapping bug with cylindrical mapping Server Time
19 Apr 2024 01:50:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bump mapping bug with cylindrical mapping
From: clipka
Date: 24 May 2014 19:04:52
Message: <53812594$1@news.povray.org>
Am 24.05.2014 23:39, schrieb Eriban:
> Hi,
>
> I have bumped into a bug while using the cylindrical bump map feature. For
> inward-facing surfaces the bumps are incorrect.

I guess this is another symptom of a long-standing bug (probably dating
back to when normal perturbations were first introduced), which has been
mentioned at least as early as 2008:

http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3Cweb.493114d0114da4434dea3830%40news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=291496

In short: Whether your POV-Ray bump maps will be inward, outward, or
even kind of "sideways" (some weird effect where the light seems to be
coming from a direction perpendicular to where it really is), is kind of
a matter of chance, and may be different for different sides of any
given object.

I do have plans to get rid of the problem some day, but I suggest to not
hold your breath.