POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Suspicious behavior? : Re: Suspicious behavior? Server Time
20 Apr 2024 03:09:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suspicious behavior?
From: posfan12
Date: 11 Jan 2014 19:04:50
Message: <52d1dc22$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/11/2014 4:13 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> The scene is fine... if you have at least 17 GB memory, it renders fast
> (the parsing is not that long either, yet longer than the render)
> (test done on linux, with enough ram)
>
> The top resident memory size in kbytes is 17320752, 17 320 752 kB !
> (data from /usr/bin/time -f "%M" ...)
>
> The issue is that your system has only 3GB, so it is going to use
> heavily the swap... and that will crawl, whatever the action of aborting
> or continuing.
>
> The nice thing is that you use a 64 bits system. A 32 bits system would
> have killed your process at the early start.

I'm not worried about the scene. I know other people have rendered it
just fine. My question was in regard to POV-Ray's strange behavior. I.e.
not quitting when encountering a memory allocation error, the end render
WAV sound playing twice instead of once, and the program not
de-allocating my RAM.
You raise some additional points though. How big does my swap file need
to be? I raised it to 40960MB and it _still_ results in a memory
allocation error. Do I need to raise it further?

Mike

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is
active.