POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.news-submissions : Spectral Rendering with POV-Ray V0.2 available : Re: Spectral Rendering with POV-Ray V0.2 available Server Time
19 Apr 2024 18:53:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spectral Rendering with POV-Ray V0.2 available
From: Ive
Date: 4 Dec 2013 02:18:34
Message: <529ed74a$1@news.povray.org>
Am 02.12.2013 23:56, schrieb clipka:
> How are you addressing the problem of synthesizing spectra from RGB values?

I did use the blue, green, red patch of row 3 from the color checker
chart - assuming that the color experts at Gretag have had reasons to
choose these -  together with a "luminance" multiplier to make sure
equal values do produce something like gray.
Someone more serious than me would have used one of the CIE color match
functions, after all these represent what an average human calls pure
red, green and blue.

> One thought: Shouldn't it be possible to support image maps by wrapping
> them in a pigment function? It'll still be synthesized from RGB, but
> better than no support at all (or so I think).

Hm, I did not think of that, but now that you mention it, this should
certainly be possible. Maybe something for version 0.3.

> Oh, and one more thing: I understand that you have the necessary
> equipment to measure materials' spectra. Would you mind providing a few
> selected plastic materials like, say... LEGO bricks? (both opaque and
> transparent, please) ;-)

Funny that you think of LEGO bricks. I had exactly the same idea of
using them as "reference colors" when I discussed lightsys with Jaime
about 10 years ago. But meanwhile I do not have a single brick anymore.

But I did measure them and might still have the data on some old hard
disk within some Pentium 3 machine, me thinks ;)
I will look for it, but I'm really not sure, so any other ideas...

-Ive