POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Compiling UberPOV on MacOSX : Re: Compiling UberPOV on MacOSX Server Time
23 Apr 2024 10:31:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling UberPOV on MacOSX
From: clipka
Date: 2 Dec 2013 15:50:12
Message: <529cf284@news.povray.org>
Am 02.12.2013 20:44, schrieb Bill Pragnell:
> Since OSX is a unix, I would have thought compiling UberPOV by following the
> unix instructions would be possible. However, I have had some problems I can't
> quite get my head around, so some insights or help would be appreciated.
>
> When running the prebuild script, I get lots of warnings about a subdir-objects
> option, some warnings about using an AM_PROG_AR macro in configure.ac, some
> warnings about obsolete macros, and an error from sed saying Makefile.in can't
> be found. I can post the full text if necessary.
>
> I looked in the UberPOV root, and the prebuild appeared to have done something,
> so I tried to run configure anyway. This bailed when checking the available
> libraries with 'cannot link with the boost thread library'.
>
> Has the prebuild failed, or are these warnings expected?

What you're experiencing are known problems with POV-Ray in general; the
issue with mssing Makefile.in is (presumably) related to a backward
compatibility-breaking change in the newest automake, while the boost
issue is due to a backward compatibility-breaking change in boost 1.50
and above. See the povray.unix newsgroup for how people are working
around the issue.

You ain't seen nothin' yet though; once you get through these, you'll
run into a few more problems, all of which are related to Mac OS X being
a BSD- rather than GNU-flavored Unix, and the dev team being rather
unfamiliar with the former.

The good news is that people on the 'net have already gone through the
task of getting POV-Ray to work on Mac OS X, and have reported on GitHub
not only the issues encountered, but also how they're currently working
around them. See POV-Ray's GitHub issue list for details (almost all
open issues are related to OS X):

https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/issues?state=open

That said, the POV-Ray dev team have by now addressed all the OS X
specific issues in their own repository, and will release them on GitHub
as soon as they've got the synchronization with their own version
control system sorted out (they've been using Perforce for ages).

I expect that to happen any moment now, so I'm a bit reluctant to sneak
the fixes into UberPOV via the side door, and would rather prefer to
merge them from the POV-Ray master branch once they're there.