POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : killeded : Re: killeded Server Time
24 Apr 2024 08:41:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: killeded
From: clipka
Date: 1 Aug 2013 02:41:22
Message: <51fa0312@news.povray.org>
Am 31.07.2013 19:49, schrieb Shay:

> "clipka"  wrote in message news:51f805df$1@news.povray.org...
>> If not, maybe there is a tool running on the machine that
>> automatically kills processes that are eating a lot of CPU power.
>
> Looks like that's it. Linux-guru diagnosis points to the "OOM killer," a
> process that kills other processes when Linux runs out of RAM.

Is that physical RAM or swap space?

Either way, this indeed sounds like a smart thing to do. Because if
POV-Ray starts swapping you can kiss your render performance goodbye
anyway, and it does seriously endanger overall system performance.

> I can buy
> more RAM, increase my swap partition, or remove some hidden objects from
> my scene.

Never mind increasing the swap partition - you absolutely positively do
want POV-Ray to render out of genuine physical RAM.

(Then again, if you buy more RAM, you might still need to increase the
swap partition anyway; AFAIK Linux insists on each page of physical RAM
being backed by a page of swap space, so swap space = physical memory is
the absolute minimum.)