POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV-Ray Patch Identification Proposal : Re: POV-Ray Patch Identification Proposal Server Time
25 Apr 2024 14:49:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Patch Identification Proposal
From: clipka
Date: 26 Jul 2013 10:52:10
Message: <51f28d1a$1@news.povray.org>
Am 26.07.2013 13:52, schrieb scott:
>> By finding someone to release yet another branch that pulls all of these
>> together and also adheres to this proposal.
>
> And eventually, if appropriate, I assume someone to incorporate that
> branch into the main release?

That, or individual patches from that branch. Or none at all, if they
turn out to be too useless, too exotic or too far from what POV-Ray
aspires to be. (For instance, I suspect that a patch to render objects
in motion at relativistic speeds won't ever make it into official
POV-Ray, and a patch to support spectral rendering may or may not make
it depending on how much the feature impacts performance of classic RGB
rendering.)

>> In the scene file you can then test for the presence of all the features
>> you need, using multiple "#patch" statements.
>>
>> That's exactly the purpose of this proposal: To allow people to compile
>> collections of multiple patches, while still providing a standard
>> interface to identify each and every one of them.
>
> I assume that then once a load of patches make it into the official 4.2
> (or whatever) release you could then use #version 4.2 in new scenes
> rather than having to list a load of #patch statements?

Yes, once a patch becomes part of official POV-Ray I'd expect it to be
supported by all branches claiming to inherit from that official version
(except maybe for features that even official POV-Ray does not always
support, as had been the case for the OpenEXR file format during the 3.7
beta phase).