POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : palette RGB values instead of index : Re: palette RGB values instead of index Server Time
24 Apr 2024 10:47:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: palette RGB values instead of index
From: clipka
Date: 31 Aug 2012 16:38:25
Message: <504120c1$1@news.povray.org>
Am 31.08.2012 19:01, schrieb Woody:

>> Yes, this one: Why bother with old-fashioned GIF files anyway?
>
> I was just using the example given in the documentation to avoid coming up with
> my own example. I suppose it could just as easily been a BMP, IFF or PNG file.
>
> Are you suggessting requiring the PNG format and using its implied transperency
> scheme?

Well, that's what I'd recommend, at any rate.

If you told us what you're actually trying to achieve, rather than what
tool you happen to have in mind for that purpose, we might also be able
to come up with a different approach to suit your needs.

The approach you suggests seems rather straightforward at first glance,
but (A) I fail to see where it's actually of use, and (B) at second
glance it actually turns out to be non-trivial not only to implement,
but even more so to even specify in a consistent manner. For starters,
you suggest to specify the color values in units from 0 to 255, instead
of the 0.0 to 1.0 range used everywhere else throughout POV-Ray; but the
trouble only barely begins there: Are these colors raw image values?
Linear values? sRGB values? For consistency the colors should be
interpreted as "cooked" to fit POV-Ray's color model (subject to
assumed_gamma and all), but I suspect this would make the whole thing
pretty pointless.