POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : Avoid all-lowercase identifiers : Re: Avoid all-lowercase identifiers Server Time
19 Apr 2024 14:59:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Avoid all-lowercase identifiers
From: clipka
Date: 4 Aug 2012 12:43:54
Message: <501d514a$1@news.povray.org>
Am 04.08.2012 18:16, schrieb Le_Forgeron:
> Le 04/08/2012 10:15, BertvdB nous fit lire :
>> As a addition to this, why don't we use the hungarian notation. Makes coding
>> much clearer.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_notation
>> This will explain what I mean
>
> Because there is so few "types" in SDL. Value, vectors... from 2D to 5D...
> what else ? a spline ?
>
> Hungarian notation is dead. Let it rest.

It's dead because modern IDEs have stuff like "IntelliSense" that allow
you to see a variable's type just by hovering the mouse over it.
POV-Ray's IDE doesn't have such a feature.

It's also quite a common practice in POV-Ray to prefix function names
with "f", texture variables with "t" or "tx", material variables with
"m" or "mt", etc.

That said, I absolutely, positively agree that Hungarian notation should
/not/ be forced on anyone - just like any other religion :-P

> Better use meaningful identifiers!

Always a good idea, whether using Hungarian notation or not.