POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : Highlight Voodo : Re: Highlight Voodo Server Time
19 Apr 2024 10:03:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Highlight Voodo
From: clipka
Date: 6 Jul 2012 06:33:43
Message: <4ff6bf07$1@news.povray.org>
Am 06.07.2012 02:22, schrieb Cousin Ricky:
> clipka<ano### [at] anonymousorg>  wrote:
>> Am 04.07.2012 23:27, schrieb Cousin Ricky:
>>> How is this relationship affected if the material isn't "polished"?
>>
>> Mu. POV-Ray's reflection is only realistic for polished surfaces.
>
> What is mu?

A concept from (AFAIK) Zen Buddhism: A reply given to questions for
which there is no meaningful answer.

>>> Is there any relationship between reflection and roughness/phong_size?
>>
>> If we're talking about polished surfaces: Yes, obviously there is a
>> relationship - it's in the formulae given above.
>
> What I'm asking is for a given reflection value, can we predict what the
> roughness value will be?

No; the reflection value describes how /much/ of the incoming light is
reflected (for light coming from other objects); the roughness value
describes how /focused/ the reflection of incoming light will be (from
light sources).

>> If we're talking about dull surfaces, then mu - as stated above, POV-Ray
>> does not natively support dull (aka blurred) reflections.
>
> This is probably not a good idea (yet?) anyway.  Best to let the users weigh the
> various methods and tradeoffs.

Well, I personally think blurred reflections are a /great/ thing to
have. They can really make or (in case of their absence) break a scene
(especially if they're in tune with the highlights parameters).