POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Diamonds: The Great Mogul or the Stone of Orlov : Re: Diamonds: The Great Mogul or the Stone of Orlov Server Time
19 Apr 2024 15:13:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Diamonds: The Great Mogul or the Stone of Orlov
From: Alain
Date: 26 Mar 2012 17:01:50
Message: <4f70d93e@news.povray.org>

> If someone is interested, here is an approximated model of the stone of orloff -
> or as many belief - the great mogul-diamond. I took the x,z-coordinates from a
> sketch in the wikipedia and handcrafted an mesh2-object from it (with the help
> of Excel, Wings and PoseRay) by estimating the y-coordinates from the other
> points of view. There may be some flaws in this second approximation (look at
> the pictures at the (english) wikipedia-entry "Orlov (diamond)" or look at the
> sceptre of Catherine the Great). But the approximation of the stone is close
> enough I think. Here is the geometry. If someone has a good idea for the texture
> - I'm still working on it - I would be very interested.
>
> Best regards,
> Michael

For the texture, you should start with a totaly transparent pigment: rgbt 1

Next, the finish
finish{reflection{0,1 fresnel}conserve_energy ambient 0 diffuse 0.01}
You can add some specular or phong highlights. If speculat, use a low
roughness (<0.001), for phong, use a large (>500) phong_size value.

Then, the all important interior:
The diamond is described as white with a bluish light green tint.

interior{ior 2.5 distersion 1.02 fade_color<0.9, 0.1, 0.93>
fade_distance 1 fade_power 1}
Typical diamond ion and a fair amount of dispersion.
The colour comes from the material, not the surface.

You should then render with some light_source. Adding an high dynamic
range environment can realy help.

Alain