POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Help with updating existing Pov-Ray 3.5 to PovWin362-64bit in Win7 64bit. : Re: Help with updating existing Pov-Ray 3.5 to PovWin362-64bit in Win7 64bit. Server Time
25 Apr 2024 00:57:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help with updating existing Pov-Ray 3.5 to PovWin362-64bit in Win7 64bit.
From: clipka
Date: 5 Feb 2012 18:24:38
Message: <4f2f0fb6$1@news.povray.org>
Am 02.02.2012 22:00, schrieb ahed:

> I am running Windows Ultimate 7, 64 bit on a dual CPU computer.  I already have
> PovRay 3.5 installed in a Architectural program.
>
> Do I uninstall the old PovRay 3.5 in the Architectural program first and then
> install the updated version "PovWin362-64bit.msi," or can I install the update
> over top of the old one?

The step from 3.5 to 3.6.2 (or 3.7, for that matter) is not strictly an
update, but installs as a separate piece of software, so those versions
can live happily alongside each other. (It would be different if you
already had, say, 3.6.1 installed.) I would actually recommend leaving
the POV-Ray 3.5 installation intact, as the Architectural program may
not work well with the 3.6 or 3.7 versions.

> Which update is best for this system, the PovWin362-64bit.msi or the Beta
> Pov-Ray 3.7 for Windows?

On a dual-CPU or dual-core system, you'll definitely benefit from
POV-Ray 3.7's multithreading support. Even for a single-core single-CPU
system I'd recommend it, due to various other improvements too numerous
to mention.

(Just for clarity, the most recent POV-Ray 3.7 release is not labeled as
beta anymore, but as "release candidate 3", or "RC3" for short; that's
the one you want.)

> Are the Pov-Ray 3.7 for Windows 32 or 64 bits?

POV-Ray 3.7 for Windows is available in both a 32-bit and 64-bit
version. As there are no known caveats with the latter, that's the one
you want.