POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : How to make the render window gradually appear over the previous render? : Re: How to make the render window gradually appear over the previous render? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 11:31:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to make the render window gradually appear over the previous render?
From: Alain
Date: 4 Dec 2011 13:38:21
Message: <4edbbe1d@news.povray.org>

> Is there a way in Pov-Ray for Windows to have the render window appear
> (gradually from top to bottom) over the previous render (at least when they both
> have the same resolution)? The default behavior is that, when you hit render,
> the previous render window (if open) disappears and the new one starts to appear
> over an empty image (actually a checker pattern).
>
> It would sometimes be very useful if the new render would appear over the
> previous render so that one could more easily, and on the fly, observe changes
> in the image. I think this would also make things like tracking the camera
> movement at least a bit easier when searching for the best location for the
> camera.

No. At least, not for single scenes.

When you have an animation, the previous frame is not cleared when the
new one starts.
This may be used to do something somewhat similar to what you describe.

You make your scene.
Start the render as an animation.
During the render, you do some editing or changes to the scene. Do NOT
save during the parse phase, in some cases it /may/ cause some fatal error.
You must finish doing your changes and save before the next frame start
rendering.

Alain