POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.poser : Dynamic Hair and PoseRay : Re: Dynamic Hair and PoseRay Server Time
25 Apr 2024 17:03:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dynamic Hair and PoseRay
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 5 Nov 2011 04:42:51
Message: <4eb4f70b$1@news.povray.org>
On 4-11-2011 21:48, FlyerX wrote:

> In general I do not recommend doing hair this way in POV-Ray. It is
> notoriously difficult to apply a material that looks good. It also
> produces a very large mesh. Many trans mapped layered hair models today
> look just as good as strand hair and render better and faster.

I agree. However, not all types of hair (I am thinking of bald patches
in particular) and even more so beards, are not readily available as
trans maps, so one has to use dynamic hair in the end. Which, by the
way, is also interesting when using wind. So, with a careful management
of the number of polygons, one can achieve something acceptable in
POV-Ray, although maybe not in close up.

Thomas