POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Difference between 3.6 and 3.7 in image : Re: Difference between 3.6 and 3.7 in image Server Time
25 Apr 2024 17:58:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Difference between 3.6 and 3.7 in image
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 3 Nov 2011 10:33:10
Message: <4eb2a626$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/03/2011 04:55 AM, clipka wrote:
> Am 02.11.2011 17:32, schrieb jkroby:
>> Hi, is my first post.
>> I downloaded povray-3.7.0.RC3 subsurface features to try to use in MH
>> and doing
>> some testing I noticed an abysmal difference, the image was much
>> clearer, even
>> if I disable all, the configuration files are the same for povray 3.6
>> and 3.7.
>> [...]
>>
>> Images:
>> povray 3.7
>> http://www.p3r.info/povray/new.png
>> povray 3.6
>> http://www.p3r.info/povray/ref.png
>>
>> Some ideas?
>
> Yes: "Gamma" is the buzzword.
>
> See
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Tutorial_Section_3.3#Gamma_Handling
> for more information.

indeed! ... another GREAT place to start looking when something acts
differently (3.6 -vs- 3.7) is:
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Tutorial_Section_1#Changes_and_New_Features_Summary

and bonus tip of the day ... the distribution docs have a link that will
land you in the same place ... locally that is ;-)