POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Frontend and backend communication : Re: Frontend and backend communication Server Time
25 Apr 2024 07:13:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Frontend and backend communication
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 1 Jul 2011 13:18:34
Message: <4e0e016a$1@news.povray.org>
On 01.07.11 12:24, Jack Burton wrote:
>> I am not sure why you would want to globally share mutexes, and I am not
>> sure what lists you are referring to specifically, so i cannot really give
>> you an answer here.
>
> I'm referring to the lists (e.g. blockBusyList) and mutexes (e.g.
> nextBlockMutex) in view.h.
>
> The idea of sharing the lists and mutexes is to record which blocks which have
> been rendered and which blocks are being rendered, so all of the slaves in the
> distributed setup can render the correct block and avoid duplication of blocks
> and avoid unnecessary communication. The mutex (as I understand it) is to stop
> the local threads accessing the lists at the same time, so this would be needed
> for a distributed scenario, too; basically the lists need to be thread-safe
> across multiple slaves.

Well, it depends on your radiosity needs, but as you cannot distribute the
radiosity data anyway, you are restricted to recomputed radiosity samples.
Thus, you can simply remove those lists and the associated code, they were
only added to support radiosity sampling at render time in 3.7. Otherwise,
they serve no purpose.

	Thorsten