POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request for assistance with documentation : Re: Proposal to expand the documentation about Arrays Server Time
17 Apr 2024 23:05:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Proposal to expand the documentation about Arrays
From: Jaap Frank
Date: 20 Jan 2011 09:20:36
Message: <4d3844b4@news.povray.org>
>"Jim Holsenback"  schreef in bericht news:4d383b61$1@news.povray.org...
>
>On 01/20/2011 09:23 AM, Jaap Frank wrote:
>> This piece of added text is a proposal to add to the documentation,
>> because this is possible with arrays.
>> The documentation gives no hint for this advanced use of arrays.
>> I know that very few users of POVRay are aware of it.
>> It can be added as point 3.2.1.8.3 Advanced use of Arrays.
>> Because English is not my native language it may be wise that someone
>> checks this text and then put it it in the documentation as proposal. I
>> don't know how to do that.
>
>At:
>http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Reference_Section_2.3#Declaring_Arrays
>
>the syntax diagram DOES mention the capability but there is little to no
>expansion on this concept. Is that what you're getting at? I'm not 1000%
>sure that the documentation is the correct place, but hey I might be
>persuaded to bow to the majority opinion ... maybe a KB "How To" article
>on the wiki might be a better choice

If you know it is possible to put arrays inside arrays, then you can read it
between the lines, but it's not explicitly mentioned.
Even clipka wasn't aware of it and was convinced that it was not possible,
see his reaction in this thread:

http://news.povray.org/povray.text.tutorials/thread/%3Cweb.4ab771232793170f772dd76f0%40news.povray.org%3E/

A link in the documentation to the wiki is naturally another possibility.