POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : can't make static starfield, it keeps shifting : Re: can't make static starfield, it keeps shifting Server Time
20 Apr 2024 04:48:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: can't make static starfield, it keeps shifting
From: Alain
Date: 18 Oct 2010 21:56:14
Message: <4cbcfabe@news.povray.org>

> Alain<aze### [at] qwertyorg>  wrote:
>>
>> If you want something consistant, you should take a look at the galaxy
>> include set. Available from the object collection:
>> http://lib.povray.org/searchcollection/index.php. Keyword "galaxy".
>> It can generate star fields, nebulaes, galaxyes, comets/meteors.
>> It have been successfully used in several animations.
>
> I did that, I ripped the relevant part (the pigment) from the include file and
> pasted it into my script, and reduced the scale a little bit, to make the stars
> smaller:
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29966/povray/from_mars.pov
>
> But the stars are still twinkling a lot:
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29966/povray/from_mars.mp4
>
> I find it surprising that such a seemingly simple task (use a static bitmap as a
> fixed background in an animation) is so hard to accomplish. Is there no way to
> do that within povray?

I tried your sample. Absolutely no flickring stars. As expected as you
use a sky_sphere.
BUT! If I stop the camera and ROTATE it like: rotate clock*y.

Doing that and I have flickering stars. Also expectable as you use a
pattern scalled very small and have sub-pixels details.

In the sample, you definetely don't use a static bitmap, but a pattern.

Alain