POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : installer POV-Ray 3.7 beta 38 issues : Re: installer POV-Ray 3.7 beta 38 issues Server Time
19 Apr 2024 19:20:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: installer POV-Ray 3.7 beta 38 issues
From: Chris Cason
Date: 31 Jul 2010 15:09:42
Message: <4c5474f6@news.povray.org>
On 31/07/2010 18:46, stevenvh wrote:
> 1. Under WinXP beta 38 gets installed under "C:\documents and
> settings\user\application data". This folder is for application *DATA*,
> not for applications. Actually I like to choose myself where I install
> my programs,

As Thorsten pointed out, this is well covered, but for the record: no, it's
not just for data; Microsoft recommends doing local installs there. I am
considering however changing it back to Program Files for Windows XP, as
the UAC issues which cause the above change don't exist on that platform.

> which I could with beta 37, but not with beta 38. It looks like a new
> installer is created for each new beta. Isn't it possible to re-use
> installers and just

No significant changes were made to the installer between beta 37 and 38.

> 2. The uninstaller (for both beta 37 and 38) deletes the settings from
> the "My Documents" folder. Isn't the whole idea of placing them there to
> retain them when a new version is installed?

I'd agree this probably isn't desired behavior, there is probably a way to
stop Windows doing this (or at least to stop it from removing any
user-added files), I'll have to look into that. Note that the uninstall
process is managed by Windows Installer, so we don't have direct control
over it, other than to leave instructions when the install originally
occurs as to roughly what should be done on uninstall.

-- Chris