POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Amazonas : Re: Amazonas Server Time
20 Apr 2024 11:06:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Amazonas
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 18 May 2010 07:31:25
Message: <4bf27a8d$1@news.povray.org>
El 16/05/10 19:12, Darren New escribió:
> Very nice. This will be my background for a while.

   Thanks!

> I think shorter trees near the river might lend a bit more of an air of
> realism.

   Actually, this was a great suggestion, specially because it lead to many
other little but important changes.

   At first it looked too difficult to implement your suggestion, but in fact
it was very easy when I figured it out... again, the pigment function came
to the rescue: I used a heavily blurred version of the heightfield image
(which is basically a black river over a white background), and used that as
a multiplier to the trees scale. Simple, isn't? :)

   I used additional tricks based on the same function, like translating the
trees down as they approach the river, so the ones just at the edge only
show the foliage, or like increasing the density of the distribution also
near the river (see the pic on my response to nemesis).

   Thanks again!

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

http://www.ignorancia.org