POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta 37 changes to file gamma? : Re: Beta 37 changes to file gamma? Server Time
23 Apr 2024 19:09:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta 37 changes to file gamma?
From: Warp
Date: 29 Apr 2010 12:24:49
Message: <4bd9b2d1@news.povray.org>
Quietman <quietman1968 at hotmail dot com> wrote:
> I find using the defaults (2.2?) produces very bright washed out files. The
> best fix I have found so far is to set both gamma settings to 1. It makes
> the renders look natural in tone and colour for me.

  If you had been using true gamma 2.2 for all your povray images for your
entire life, you would find a gamma of 1.0 unbearably dark.

  The reason is that if you were accustomed to the proper gamma, you would
be using the adecuate colors for that gamma (eg. 0.5 for a *truly* mid-gray
color, etc).

  As for image map images which don't have gamma info in them, they have to
be pre-gamma corrected manually when using the correct gamma for your system.
POV-Ray 3.7 implements now a keyword to do that.

  Question: If someone "lies" to POV-Ray by claiming that his system uses
a gamma of 1.0 when in reality it uses a gamma of 2.2, and renders an image
with that setting, will that image look the same in a different system with
a different gamma (eg. one with a gamma of 1.8), or will it look different?
If so, how different (brighter, darker...)?

--
                                                          - Warp