POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Feature Adjustments: Area lights and Jittered Reflection/Refraction : Re: Feature Adjustments: Area lights and Jittered Reflection/Refraction Server Time
23 Apr 2024 07:34:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature Adjustments: Area lights and Jittered Reflection/Refraction
From: scott
Date: 24 Mar 2010 04:19:35
Message: <4ba9cb17$1@news.povray.org>
> Thirdly (and I am sure that this has already been suggested), allowing
> jitter of reflected and refracted rays would very easily implement blurred
> reflections and refractions, making some nice effects available

MCPov allows you to do exactly that, using a simple "mc_reflect" keyword in
the finish block.  It takes parameters for the number of rays to spawn and
the "burriness" of the reflection:

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/fidos/MCPov/samples/sample_05.jpg

Personally I think MCPov style ray spawning should be included in the core
POV, I guess the only tricky bit is figuring out a decent SDL syntax that is
easy to use, but also allows enough flexibility.