POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : SharpConstruct with Windows & gtk+--installation problem : Re: SharpConstruct with Windows & gtk+--installation problem Server Time
19 Apr 2024 17:40:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SharpConstruct with Windows & gtk+--installation problem
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 3 Jan 2010 12:53:49
Message: <4b40d9ad$1@news.povray.org>

> Jaime Vives Piqueres<jai### [at] ignoranciaorg>  wrote:
>
>> I think the program is not recognizing that your GTK version is newer
>> than 2.8 (2.18 IS newer than 2.8). Considering SharpConstruct seems to
>> have stopped development on 2006, and that 2.8 was indeed released that
>> year, I think that's the case.
>>
>> One solution will be to install the obsolete 2.8 version from here:
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-win/files/Obsolete/
>>

> Thanks, Jaime. I gave that a good try. Unfortunately, *every* 2.8.xxx
> legacy version of GTK+ that I downloaded there produces either the same
> error message in SharpConstruct as before, or a new one:
>
> "SharpConstruct needs the GTK part from the 'glade for windows' project,
> but you seem to have the GTK part from the 'GIMP for Windows' project,
> which won't work. See http://sharp.3d.sourceforge.net.... (a URL link
> that no longer works.)"

   Oops... then, perhaps installing glade for windows will work:

   http://glade.gnome.org/

> I'm guessing that the original Linux(?) version of the program must have
> been more 'robust' than the later Windows port...that is, all the parts
> were better integrated.

   No, it's just that Linux usually has already installed most of what is
needed for open source apps.

> Given this impasse, I may *have* to download the latest version of
> Blender, if I want the features of SharpConstruct. I don't know,
> though--Blender has its own steep learning curve, from what I hear!

   Well, seems more a case of "you love the interface or you hate it", and in
fact is a great program, so I can recommend to at least try it...

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

http://www.ignorancia.org