POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Tree Fractals : Re: Tree Fractals Server Time
18 Apr 2024 07:14:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tree Fractals
From: Chambers
Date: 21 Nov 2009 11:47:53
Message: <4b0819b9@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Gerhard Oosthuizen schrieb:
>> It would be nice to have a fractal object for trees and lightning.
>> Tree-like fractal textures would also be nice for veins and leaves.
>
> I guess you're talking about fractals of the recursive kind, as in:
>
>     #declare MyTree {
>       cylinder { <0,0,0>, <0,1,0> }
>       object { MyTree scale 0.5 rotate  z*30 translate y*1 }
>       object { MyTree scale 0.7 rotate -z*20 translate y*1 }
>     }

Aren't these termed L-Systems?  The POV-Ray SDL is quite well suited to
writing them (in a slightly different manner from what's posted above,
of course :) ).

Additionally, there's always the POV-Tree utility :)  I don't think
anyone's done lightning yet... hmm, I smell a weekend project coming on...

...Chambers