POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Portable POV? : Re: Portable POV? Server Time
16 Apr 2024 08:37:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Portable POV?
From: clipka
Date: 26 Oct 2009 15:29:52
Message: <4ae5f8b0$1@news.povray.org>
pdjones2112 schrieb:

> I was thinking that maybe there might be a way to configure the installation of
> POV-Win such that you could specify a completely "local" installation. That is
> to say, make pov run and store all files from a specified location (nothing is
> done in any other folder/location).

Actually it shouldn't be too difficult:

- The POV-Ray binary can be "installed" /anywhere/, even on a memory stick.

- You need to set up a few registry keys in HKCU\Software\POV-Ray, one
of which will point to the "installation" directory.

- As of POV-Ray 3.6.2 / 3.7.0, the sample, include and config files must
be copied to a directory named "POV-Ray/v3.6" or "POV-Ray/v3.7" in the
user's "My Documents" directory. (Unfortunately this can't be configured
with a registry key.)

It should be possible to write a batch file that copies all of POV-Ray's
files into the "POV-Ray/v3.x" directory in the user's "My Documents"
directory (including binaries), then creates the registry keys by
generating a registry patch file and have it imported using "regedit /s
MyRegistryPatch.reg".