POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Rebirth round open for voting : Re: Rebirth round open for voting Server Time
25 Apr 2024 05:29:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rebirth round open for voting
From: Shay
Date: 22 Sep 2009 23:36:12
Message: <4ab997ac$1@news.povray.org>
Tek wrote:

 > However, on that subject, I sometimes have some difficulty
distinguishing between technical and artistic areas. e.g. is bad
lighting a technical or artistic failure?

Here's how I see the categories right now:

====> Artistic Merit:
Does the artist effectively use tools beyond bare pictoral exposition to
communicate and/or editorialize his subject matter?

Composition is among these tools, but no knowledge of composition is
needed to judge the competition. Effective composition is always "good"
composition, though the (many) pedants among the IRTC voters will be
looking for that golden ratio or "tonal balance."

Some non-aesthetic tools which come to mind are humor, complexity, and
disorientation.

====> Technical Merit:
Several years ago, the Chex cereal people figured out that their cereal
tastes pretty good mixed with pretzels and nuts. It does, but the fact
that anyone can make it in ten minutes is why Chex Mix isn't often
served at weddings. Find a recipe that takes ten /hours/ and you can bet
your guests will remember it.

Cobbling together borrowed models is Chex Mix. Restricting your scene to
what can easily be done with CSG is Chex Mix.

Lighting is IMO an artistic issue. At least one of the most famous IRTC
images was rendered using rad settings pulled right out of the
newsgroups. And anyone can paste his model into an hdri scene. Using
these elements effectively is a challenge, but not a technical one.

====> Topic:
Was Frank Lloyd Wright creative? Damn straight. And what was his subject
matter? ...House.

Some of the most creative painters I can name painted landscapes and
bridges. Not all creative artists are humorists or surrealists. I like
to see surprising (big C) Concepts as much as anyone else, but this is a
competition for CG artists, not authors. To determine whether an image
is creative, I believe the voter must simply ask himself whether the
image is boring.

  -Shay