POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : SVG Support / Improved Heightfield feature : Re: SVG Support / Improved Heightfield feature Server Time
25 Apr 2024 09:38:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SVG Support / Improved Heightfield feature
From: clipka
Date: 5 Aug 2009 20:50:13
Message: <4a7a28c5$1@news.povray.org>
Reactor schrieb:

>> For SVG, you have two major options: (a) basically evaluate the whole
>> SVG over and over again for *every* point to be looked up; the required
>> algorithmical and computational effort might be close to that of a
>> moderately simple raytracing engine; or (b) evaluate the SVG once,
>> somehow caching the data in a lookup structure of inherently limited
>> resolution; this of course would forfeit the main benefit of SVG.
>>

> It seems like some aspect of this is present and addressed in the object
> pattern, since the object also has arbitrary resolution.

The object pattern is yet another different animal: It uses code that's
in POV-Ray anyway; and all it does is test whether a given point is
inside a single given object or not - there is no need to skim through a
long list of objects (unless you're using a complex CSG object, but in
that case things may get slow pretty quickly with the object pattern as
well).

> I also seem to remember a discussion about using the svg format to allow users
> to define a spline, which it seems like another good use for svg.

I think so, yes.