POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Scale Postfixes : Re: Scale Postfixes Server Time
24 Apr 2024 04:48:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scale Postfixes
From: David H  Burns
Date: 4 Aug 2009 18:17:51
Message: <4a78b38f$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Wouldn't it be nice if the next generation SDL allowed for something like this:
>
>     sphere { Pos, 7.3 mm }
>
> or
>
>     box {
>         -<10in, 7ft, 3ft>, <10in, 7ft, 3ft>
>         rotate y * 1.7rad
>         translate <10yd+3ft, 3ft, 0>
>     }
>
> or
>
>     media { absorbtion 0.2/1m }
>
> or even
>
>     media { absorbtion 0.2/m }
>
> or
>
>     media { absorbtion 0.2m^-1 }
>
> ?

Are you sure that this feature would not simply add unneeded and
confusing complexity,
especially in simply dimensions? The ability to define absorotion as you
suggest might
indeed be useful. But the screen dimension units don't correspond to any
"real" units and it's
easy enough for the user to adapt them to his own arbitrary units. I'm
not sure though,
if one now wants to use, say, feet and millimeters with a number of
objects, the scaling
factor clutter up the code. "Rad" and "deg" for angles and rotation
*would* be useful.

I suppose thr proposed feature would allow:
sphere{<1ft,2mm,1.5 angstroms>,3nm}

but what about
sphere{<1,2in,3mm>,2}
would that generate and error message? And what might it say?

David