POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : I want to be rid of my stupid mistakes : Re: I want to be rid of my stupid mistakes Server Time
25 Apr 2024 05:49:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I want to be rid of my stupid mistakes
From: Warp
Date: 19 Jul 2009 14:39:18
Message: <4a636855@news.povray.org>
bgimeno <bgimeno[at]persistencia[dot]org> wrote:
> I suppose that a "detector" of infinite loops is it too much to ask?

  It is, in fact. How do you detect an infinite loop? That's especially
difficult given that it has been mathematically proven to be an impossible
task in the general case.

  You could put an enforced upper limit to any loop, but how large would
that upper limit be? What if you really need to go over that limit? Also
an upper limit is not of much help if the body of the loop takes a very
long time to parse anyways: The upper limit would not be triggered anytime
soon.

--
                                                          - Warp