POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : POVRAY v4 SDL, Basic/Advanced/Intermediate : Re: POVRAY v4 SDL, Basic/Advanced/Intermediate Server Time
19 Apr 2024 13:22:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRAY v4 SDL, Basic/Advanced/Intermediate
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 20 Apr 2009 15:25:24
Message: <49eccc24$1@news.povray.org>
Woody wrote:
> a) a very basic SDL (less difficult than what we have currently)
> b) an intermediate SDL (equal in difficulty or around as difficult to what we
> have currently)
> c) an advanced SDL (something that looks like C/C++ Java, Python, PHP, etc. or
>
> d) someother description not referenced above.

	d).

	I kind of object to:

1) This partitioning scheme. An SDL can be both simple and advanced - in
that it you can do a lot using _simple_ syntax and features of the
language, but if you want to do even more, you can use more complex
features. However, a new user need not deal with those.

2) Your characterization of Python as something that may scare lots of
people away.

	Well, OK, it _may_ scare people away compared to the current SDL. But
really - Python is well known for being a very easy language to learn if
you don't get in to the details (this is kind of my point 1 above). It's
a _lot_ easier to learn a little bit of Python and start coding than it
is C, C++, Java, or even Javascript. I've yet to come across any one who
tried learning Python and found it hard. They only complain about the
indenting issue.

	Python's gaining ground with a lot of social scientists in academia. I
suspect it's ease of use without hindering the programmer (other than
via performance) is the reason.

	The current SDL may be easy to learn, but it's a pain to do complex
things in it.

--
"Now we all know map companies hire guys who specialize in making map
folding a physical impossibility" - Adult Kevin Arnold in "Wonder Years"

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl