POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
29 Sep 2024 18:14:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: nemesis
Date: 16 Apr 2009 21:15:21
Message: <49e7d829$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Never having used vi, it's just almost impossible to use for anything.
> I once was forced to use it because there just was no other text editor
> in that system and I just had to edit a file, and it was next to impossible.
> vi doesn't work like a regular text editor, ie. you start it with a file,
> edit the file (by moving the cursor and writing text), then exit the file
> (which offers you the option of saving the file). Even pico is easier to
> use on the first time.

Oh, I see you're pulling an Andrew:  you don't care to learn the
emacs/vi way, so you bash it.

I was a pretty advanced emacs user and thought exactly the way you just
described: it felt like a very alien line-oriented simplistic tool fit
only for the needs of configuration file editing.

That was until I went out of my way to discover why so many people
seemed to enjoy it just as much as emacs and -- just wait for it! --
_actually sat down to learn it_.  Then I realized it was just as enjoyed
as emacs because it's about as powerful in its own way.