POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
29 Sep 2024 18:12:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: Warp
Date: 16 Apr 2009 16:36:29
Message: <49e796cd@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> A while after I realized there was a hell of a lot more in vi than
> simple, dumb line-oriented commands geared at systems admins...

  I'm so accustomed to doing things in the "windows-style" text editing
way (which the emacs option pc-selection-mode mostly provides) and which
only works on X (not on the terminal for the simple reason that the VT
terminal protocol does not support all the necessary key combinations)
that it's difficult to do anything with an editor which only works on
the terminal and thus cannot be configured for those special key
combinations.

  Of course when emacs is run on a terminal (rather than X), pc-selection-mode
will obviously not work (because of the terminal limitations) but I can
still use it more or less fluently.

  Never having used vi, it's just almost impossible to use for anything.
I once was forced to use it because there just was no other text editor
in that system and I just had to edit a file, and it was next to impossible.
vi doesn't work like a regular text editor, ie. you start it with a file,
edit the file (by moving the cursor and writing text), then exit the file
(which offers you the option of saving the file). Even pico is easier to
use on the first time.

--
                                                          - Warp