POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
29 Sep 2024 12:17:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: nemesis
Date: 16 Apr 2009 02:52:29
Message: <49e6d5ad$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> One could make similar sarcastic remarks about the population at large
>> refusing to learn Haskell even though it is clearly and obviously the
>> most powerful programming language ever devised.
>
> Well, so long as you don't need any decent execution speed :-)

Are speeds in the range of 2-5x slower than C/C++ acceptable?  I
thinking it's as good a trade off as was going from assembly to C
several decades ago.  Specially as seeing as whole lucrative businesses
have been built around scripting languages that are about 100 to 1000
times slower than C/C++.

Haskell GHC compiler is one of the top in the computer shootout game:
http://tinyurl.com/cg5v2j

It's currently faster even than OCaml, Ada and Java -server.

Also, g++ loses to Free Pascal when taking memory usage into
consideration. :)

though it's certainly strange seeing LuaJit *before* java -server and
python and ruby not much behind... OTOH, I peeked a few C++ codes and it
looked downright assembly.

Ah, nothing more fake than programming in assembly disguised in your fav
programming language... :P