POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
29 Sep 2024 08:15:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: nemesis
Date: 15 Apr 2009 13:54:52
Message: <49e61f6c$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 escreveu:

>>> You do if you want to make it do something there isn't a setting for.
>>
>> Like a new garbage collector?  Pretty much only the core elisp
>> interpreter and basic IO routines are in C, the rest of emacs is elisp.
>
> I doubt anybody ever needs to dig into the C code. But if you want a new
> Emacs feature that there isn't a setting for, you're going to need to
> dig through a few hundred miles of Lisp to figure out how and where to
> add it. That's what I'm trying to say.

Not that difficult:  you start by analyzing a function and asks help for
that function.  As you dig in the code you see it calling other
functions and again you ask help for those functions that may interest
you and so on.  Small baby steps.  Digging the whole emacs manual at
once is insane.  You search for particular features and goes from there.

Reminded me of a joke:
How do you take elephant soup?  One spoon after the other... :)

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9