POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
29 Sep 2024 04:21:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 15 Apr 2009 11:05:50
Message: <49e5f7ce$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> On some level, it's similar to how you configure SciTE - i.e., with a
> giant text file. The difference with Emacs is that you can write complex
> blobs of arbitrary executable code to define new functionallity. (It
> seems Warp has done this.) The similarity is that, like SciTE, it'll
> take you hours to figure out which secret hidden setting changes the
> thing that's annoying you. (Or even whether there *is* a setting to
> change a particular behaviour...)

	I really doubt it's as hard as you say. Emacs provides _lots_ of
general hooks for customization. At least, I've never heard an emacs
user claim that it was a pain to find anything he needed - I don't think
they have to go through much source code.

	All commands in Emacs (including cursor movements, etc) have a name (I
assume they're Lisp functions). It's fairly straightforward to find out
the name of any command (provided you know the command exists). You can
then use those commands to make a complex task, or modify them, or
simply rebind the keystroke to your own command.

--
For a while, she had a boyfriend with a wooden leg. Then she broke it off.

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl