POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
29 Sep 2024 04:19:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: Invisible
Date: 15 Apr 2009 11:05:15
Message: <49e5f7ab$1@news.povray.org>
>> I mean, if you're forced to use a console window to do something, then
>> fair enough. But this is 2009. We have graphics systems capable of
>> better. Why not make use of that fact?
>
> 	Umm...I'm a guy who still likes to read text in a console (I mean, a
> _real_ console - not a terminal emulator). Ditto for writing.

Good for you. I prefer something a little less clunky.

>> Well, I don't know. SciTE is open-source. If you want to, it's perfectly
>> possible to download the source code and modify it. But let's face it,
>
> 	But not easy. You have to do it in C++, and you have to get a good
> understanding of the source code. Not (as much) so with Emacs. Not
> having to recompile the whole thing to have your changes register is a
> perk. Also, it's unlikely that newer Emacs versions will change your
> customizations.

I will admit, that's one of the irritating things with SciTE. Each new
version, some of the settings have different names and/or work
differently. (But the solution is just to always use the same version I
guess.)

More irritating is that SciTE comes with support for about 35 languages,
only 4 of which I actually want, but it's a pain to disable all the
stuff I don't want.

>> change absolutely anything [with the not inconsiderable detail that you
>> don't have to recompile anything]. But only once you've read and
>> memorised the entire source tree. How feasible is that, really?
>
> 	Eh? No! You don't have to dig into source code for Emacs to customize
> it. It comes with a Lisp interpreter for a reason!

You do if you want to make it do something there isn't a setting for.