POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
29 Sep 2024 04:21:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 15 Apr 2009 10:59:06
Message: <49e5f63a@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> I mean, if you're forced to use a console window to do something, then
> fair enough. But this is 2009. We have graphics systems capable of
> better. Why not make use of that fact?

	Umm...I'm a guy who still likes to read text in a console (I mean, a
_real_ console - not a terminal emulator). Ditto for writing. Perhaps
I'm too used to the "font" - growing up on DOS. I just never found a
graphical editor that appears as nice.

> So "C-u" actually means "Ctrl+U"?

	Yup. You'd know this had you spent a minute on the tutorial.

> Well, I don't know. SciTE is open-source. If you want to, it's perfectly
> possible to download the source code and modify it. But let's face it,

	But not easy. You have to do it in C++, and you have to get a good
understanding of the source code. Not (as much) so with Emacs. Not
having to recompile the whole thing to have your changes register is a
perk. Also, it's unlikely that newer Emacs versions will change your
customizations.

> who the hell is going to do that? Nobody. Similarly, Emacs lets you

	Yet, people do it all the time with Emacs. Maybe not your average user,
but I bet more power users customize emacs and write their own
functionality via Lisp than do SciTe users who change the source code.

> change absolutely anything [with the not inconsiderable detail that you
> don't have to recompile anything]. But only once you've read and
> memorised the entire source tree. How feasible is that, really?

	Eh? No! You don't have to dig into source code for Emacs to customize
it. It comes with a Lisp interpreter for a reason!

--
For a while, she had a boyfriend with a wooden leg. Then she broke it off.

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl