POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : World Community Grid : Re: World Community Grid Server Time
20 Apr 2024 03:45:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: World Community Grid
From: scott
Date: 9 Mar 2009 06:29:10
Message: <49b4ef76$1@news.povray.org>
> I don't know about CFLs, but our house has several "energy saving"
> lighting units. The problem is, there's a 20 minute delay between turning
> them on and being able to see where you're going...

Yup, and not having studied them carefully, I hear they make a slight
buzzing noise which can be annoying in a quiet room (eg while trying to
read).

> LEDs are indeed efficient, but the main problems currently seem to be
> making "white" light with them,

There's no problem with making white light, the most efficient way is just
to put a mixture of different coloured LEDs in one "lamp" to give whatever
white temperature you want.  The other way is to put a yellow phosphor
infront of a blue LED, but that's not as efficient electrically (it means
you can get white from a single LED though).

> and illuminating large areas.

The biggest problem is keeping the LED temperature low enough during use,
the designs I've seen have been mainly heat sink, but they seem to have
overcome that for 60W and 100W equivalent bulbs:

http://www.metaefficient.com/leds/led-light-bulbs.html