POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random: FFT, Organ, Blahblah.. : Re: Random: FFT, Organ, Blahblah.. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:17:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random: FFT, Organ, Blahblah..
From: Invisible
Date: 30 Jan 2009 11:13:35
Message: <4983272f$1@news.povray.org>
>> Well for a start I'd need the hated .NET runtime first... :-P
>
> Whats the difference between .NET and, say, JRE?

About 400MB. *rimshot*

> Why so against the .NET framework?

Java I just about put up with because it allows you to write software
that will (easily) work on more than one platform. And because it has
libraries which (just about) allow mere mortals to do things like
multithreading, database access, graphics and sound, which would
otherwise be impossible.

The .NET framework, on the other hand, it a vast sprawling mass of
inefficiency which is more or less Windows-only. It has all the
downsides of Java, without the advantages. And, obviously, it's made by
M$, which everybody hates. ;-)

>> Er, no... Actually it's a basic consequence of physics, and that's why
>> the human auditory system is turned to detect it. ;-)
>
> What amazes me is how the ear detects sounds. It literally works in the
> frequency domain. :)

Millions of years of evolution, my friend. ;-)

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if the ear itself doesn't do a very
good frequency analysis, but the brain post-processes it. Do you have
*any idea* how crap the image data from your retinas is?? It's amazing
humans can see at all...