POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random: FFT, Organ, Blahblah.. : Random: FFT, Organ, Blahblah.. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:17:58 EDT (-0400)
  Random: FFT, Organ, Blahblah..
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 30 Jan 2009 09:12:35
Message: <49830ad3$1@news.povray.org>
Heh, neat... when messing with the FFT toy in polar mode (I've now fixed
phase so it actually allows edits from π to -π You can actually see the
phase of the waves change.

Silly, I know. The scaling seems right, but just sort of. Editing in the
frequency domain makes the time domain really big.. :/

I really need to add my waveform/function feature now so I can play with
different waveforms.

Next: write an FFT filtering algorithm and export the resulting wav.

Now...

I was playing around with the tone generator in Cool Edit, and
discovered something that's probably smackingly obvious. If you set the
   tones to the fundamental, then 1x 2x 4x etc ... it sound exactly like
an organ. if you do 1x 3x 5x 7x setting each subesequent to half, you
get an approximation of a square wave. 1x 2x 3x 4x, again half each, you
get an approximation of a sawtooth wave.

Now I did know that would be a likely outcome, but it was kinda neat
that I could hand make a square wave.. :)

--
~Mike