POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Documentation Migration : Re: Documentation Migration Server Time
20 Apr 2024 02:48:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Documentation Migration
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 19 Jan 2009 00:52:00
Message: <49741500@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 16:05:04 -0400, Jim Holsenback wrote:

> "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:16:05 -0400, Jim Holsenback wrote:
>>
>>> I did some looking around on the povwiki and I see that there have
>>> been a couple of attempts made. Curious what stalled the efforts?
>>
>> With my efforts, it was largely a change in job responsibilities that
>> affected my available time.
>
> Winter is my down time so I was glad for something to keep me busy. I
> see from your wiki files that you started the unix section. My perl
> script has things pretty automated. The challenge will be the get the
> data back out like we want. All that's pretty much laid out in the input
> side documentation package, so once I learn a few PHP-ism's it should
> basically be a port of the exsisting templates and code.

Well, I didn't really start any section, I more or less just grabbed that
section because I'm a Linux user - but I was just looking for a place to
start seeing if I could translate things and preserve the old formatting
as well (IOW, I was looking to do it in a way that would facilitate
exporting back to the povdoc format, like you laid out above).

In retrospect, maybe the better way to approach that would've been
through a Mediawiki plugin that understood the povdoc format.  I'm no php
programming whiz, though - that would definitely have taken some time to
develop. :-)

Without getting into the gory details, I'm hoping by March that things
will have settled down at work and I can pick up on some of the povdoc
stuff and wiki stuff then.

Jim