POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Acer Aspire 5000 : Re: Acer Aspire 5000 Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:15:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Acer Aspire 5000
From: Darren New
Date: 7 Jan 2009 12:54:25
Message: <4964ec51$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> - On every laptop known to man, holding down the power button will
> forcibly power down the laptop. This does not work while the laptop is
> frozen. (Fortunately the battery typically dies after ~5 minutes or so.)

Wow. I was under the impression this was built right into the power
supplies. Maybe not on a laptop, tho.

I have a friend who was designing motherboards for specialized systems like
disk array servers. He told me he spent three days trying to figure out why
the system would power off seven seconds after he plugged it in each time.
Turns out it took three seconds to initialize the board enough that the
signal from the power supply could be read, and he'd wired that wire
backwards, so four seconds later it would turn off again.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Why is there a chainsaw in DOOM?