POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MC-Pov: MC-Pov for Linux : Re: MC-Pov: MC-Pov for Linux Server Time
19 Apr 2024 17:14:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MC-Pov: MC-Pov for Linux
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 3 Jan 2009 10:40:48
Message: <495f8700$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:

> BTW, I think one of the things to pay attention to in a next-generation POV
> version (i.e. 4.0) is to use lighting-model-independent descriptions of
> material properties, which each lighting model must then try to map to its own
> parameters as best as it can.

Sounds cool, but how would you describe any part of the texture in
a lighting-model-independent description? The best you could do is
to define a model as generic as possible (similar to the LightSys
includes?), and derive parameters for simpler lighting models from
there (as done by macros in LightSys). Having this built-in might
someday allow things such as more realistic photons taking the
actual light source spectrum into account.