POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux & drivers : Re: Linux & drivers Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:22:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux & drivers
From: Invisible
Date: 4 Sep 2008 11:34:38
Message: <48c0000e$1@news.povray.org>
>> I discovered that many if not most live CDs can be coaxed into seeing
>> the drives by manually executing a modprobe command. (No, I have no
>> idea which one... and it wouldn't help you anyway.)
>>

> That's what I ran across - I just didn't have the energy to dig into
> which one.
>
> I guess I should learn it sometime as this PC is going to have this
> issue for a while and I plan on doing some fun Linux things with it.

IIRC, most live CDs failed to find either my harddrives or my NIC. To
fix it, you have to say something like

   modprobe nv_forcedeth
   modprobe nv_sata

and then they both work again. I figured this out by searching several
billion manpages, discovering where kernal modules (such as device
drivers) are stored, and then listing the contents of the folder and
looking for anything that sounded like it might work.

Hard to fix? No. User-friendly? No!

I still have no idea what "force deth" actually means...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/